Saturday, December 28, 2013

My daddy pulled the trigger and broke my heart.

I haven't blogged in a year. Something happened and I haven't really wanted to write about it or anything else until now...so here I go.

It was a year ago yesterday that I heard my daddy say "I love you too," for the last time. And it was a year ago today that I found out he had passed away. Actually, saying 'passed away' puts diamonds on what happened so let's try this again.

It was a year ago today that my daddy shot himself. It's such an ugly thing to say. It really is. And until you've been through the situation personally, lost someone to their own will, will you agree with me. I remember every ugly detail of that day. I remember my mom calling me to alert me what had been seen on Facebook. I remember other people calling me to see if I knew what was going on. I remember some calling to say, "There's no way J.D. There's no way." I remember calling around to see if we could find him, because, I live five hours away...going door to door wasn't an option for me.

And then I remember the squealing tires of a yellow school bus stopping in front of my house, my husband running through the door with fire and hurt and fear in his eyes. I remember the reluctance behind his face. He didn't want to have to tell me what he knew, but he did. My poor husband.

I remember having to put my hand over my chest because I really thought my heart was going to leap from my chest. You read about that in books, and hear people say it in movies, but to experience it is a different feeling all on its own. I remember trying to take a shower and throwing up all over the place. I remember feeling as though someone's hands were all over me and I pushed them away. It could have been an anxiety attack, but I could've sworn, in that moment, it was my daddy saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, forgive me."

I didn't want that though. I didn't want apologies. I wanted him.

I remember pulling into Abilene, finding my youngest brother (who's a foot taller than me), I let his arms wrap around me and I could feel the blood pulsing beneath his skin. And I cried. He didn't. Not in that moment. Instead he was expressing his anger the best way he knew how and that was with silence.

I remember my other brother ordering me the strongest drink on the bar menu at Texas Roadhouse. He said I needed to not feel for a little bit. So I drank and actually felt nothing. Seriously. The alcohol didn't effect me at all. I was already numb.

I remember seeing my daddy in the coffin for the first time and hardly recognizing him. But David, my brother, and savior in that moment, pulled me to the feet of my father and said, "look at the other side of his face." And there he was, my daddy.

I remember laughing because he looked like he had a dip in his mouth...which was entirely natural. And then I tentatively reached for his hands and felt the cold. Every groove and blistered bit was what I remember of growing up. I'll never forget my daddy's working hands and how they felt. And now the cold. I won't forget that either.

I'll also remember how his family rallied around each other to be there for me and my brothers. I'll remember the 400 plus attendants at the funeral. If anyone had tried to tell me my daddy was alone I would have laughed in their face. My daddy wasn't alone. He had the world...he just refused to accept it...

I'm going to change the subject for a moment to talk about the ways I've experienced death recently. I've had the luxury to watch someone beautiful die twice now. The first time was in March of 2012. My husband's Nana passed away after battling cancer. No, there's really nothing beautiful in that, or death, but the experience...it was beautiful. I watched my husband's family rally together, hold one another, sing her to her final resting place and bid her goodbye. Every time I entered the room, all eyes were on Nana, her every breath. You could tell everyone wanted each breath to be her last...but not really. If they had the option to hold on to her forever I know they would've. But. It was in the moment, when I was sitting on my husband's lap, a few cousins were scattered around the room, and we were talking and gently laughing about something other than Nana did she slip away. It was as if she waited for the moment when everyone had a smile on their face, and when she knew all would be okay did she go.

The family fell, of course, on their knees, around her bed, into each others arms, to wail and pray. And in every heart breaking moment all I could think was, "this is beautiful."

At this point in my life I'm watching my father-in-law wilt away due to the effects of ALS. Another ugly ugly situation. But again my in-laws are binding together and finding ways to hold on to every ounce of love they have. My sisters-in-law will smile the brightest of smiles to Gordon's face and cry the moment he turns around. This isn't weakness. This is strength and they have it. I'm watching my mother-in-law nurse another soul to the path of heaven with such grace that all I can do is lift her up in prayer. And I'm watching my husband stay busy, and loving, and act every bit as the man of the household...all the while knowing he will be losing two fathers in the span of two years. I'm watching this and again, there is beauty.

However, let's get back to the ugliness.

I am past the anger phase. I truly am. I know it sounds like I'm still angry, but I think the bitterness is deserved. I loved this man with every beat of my heart. I was a daddy's girl through and through and I've been marked with him quitting on life and on me.

My brother, David, has turned his life around in the last year and a half. I used to think he harbored a monster inside of him as a result of being in the army...which is partly true...but he's found reason to live, to love others, and more importantly love himself. It's a miraculously beautiful thing to see and my daddy is missing every moment of it.

Please please, I do not need to hear that "He's in heaven's balcony, watching the things we do," bit. I want him here. I want him to see David. I want him to hug my brother and tell him that he is legitimately PROUD of how he is living his life. David deserves to hear that from his daddy because I don't think he ever had. It's one thing to have everyone else tell you, but to live your life in the shadow of your father and then to never hear those words from him is a story all in itself.

Now Michael. Michael has a lot of life left to live and experience. He's nearly seventeen, and of course he "already has life figured out," as all seventeen year olds do. Ha! He hurts differently than the rest of us. He has many vices and none of them are good. He finds peace in potions and I do raise my fist at my dad because that pistol caused a lot of this. He'd never admit this, but he lives life with fear taking control of most of his decisions. He's afraid of new. He's afraid of rejection. And he's afraid to feel. He wasn't like this a year and a half ago.

There is a future in my brother. I don't doubt it for a second. He has the ability to find the value in his own life and make something of himself...but he has to learn how to deal with abandonment, and it's not an easy thing to do. He's going to graduate high school, college, get married, bring children into the world all without the wisdom and advice of his daddy. But, he was robbed.

And me. I'm pregnant. Something I didn't expect, and I won't lie, I didn't necessarily want to happen. But it's a little boy. Who's going to teach this kid to pitch?! No that's not my greatest concern, but hell, it was definitely a dream of mine to have my daddy teach a kid of mine the Slurve...or whatever that is. I am mad and angry and I do hurt, because a year ago when my daddy told me he loved me too, he had promised to come visit very soon. He told me he missed me and wanted to see the new town we lived in. He promised me the world in a ten minute conversation, said he loved me, and shot himself six hours later.

He had SO much to live for and so many people who loved him that I still sit here at a loss. Suicide is ugly! The people that love me will patiently sit by my side and listen to my words but it's ugly and I hate burdening people with it. I miss my daddy and not one day went by for the last year where I didn't think of his face, his last moments, and then wonder what more could I have done for him. Well, everything. I could have done more of everything. I could have stood up for his life when he was living and drinking his paychecks away with that woman. I could have told him how happy I was that they broke up because she was never good for him. No good person pushes that much alcohol into your life when you're depressed at where your life is headed. She did that and I never stood up for my daddy's life.

It's possible that I was complacent with the fact that he WAS alive and now that it's too late, I've worked the situation backwards to see where I could go back and fix it. But I can't.

I do know, that with God's good grace I'll be able to hug my daddy's neck once again. I know that all the hurt he felt in the last couple years of his life stopped the moment he pulled the trigger. But it still sucks. And hurts.

I miss you, daddy.

10 I like comments, feel free to leave 'em.:

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey. I can't even imagine the level of hurt you've been experiencing this last year. I wish I could hug you tight, bake you a big nutella cake and bemoan the miseries of pregnancy, even knowing that none of that can even dent the loss you're feeling. We all have fathers, but not every one has a Daddy. You did, and you lost him in the most maddeningly insensible way. It's not okay, and neither cake nor platitudes can make it so. I'm really in awe of the strength you've shown, first at the funeral (such an amazing outpouring of love, so many lives touched by such a sweet man)and every day since. Your girls (and future boy) are so lucky to have such a strong, beautiful mother, who'll always keep going no matter how hard it gets. You're an incredible woman, JD. Know that I'm always sending my love and admiration your way.

Amy B

talimullins said...

Basically everything Amy said. I know what it's like to lose a daddy, but not like you lost yours and it sucks and the "he's looking down and loving you" doesn't make it any better, it makes it worse. All I can offer you is my love and my pride in you, for what their worth.

Unknown said...

Thank you for being so honest. It's not as easy thing to do. We knew at times there was something wrong but didn't know what it was. Texting in the middle of the night for pitching practice or things that were said that made no sense. We all have our problems and just thought he was going thru something; maybe drinking heavily at times too. The five stages of death do not always go in order and sometimes we never reach acceptance. Especially when its so unnatural. But you are a strong woman with an amazing family and WE are proud of you! If he can see yall, JD, I'm sure there is regret and he is proud of yall, too. Many hugs.

Leah G said...

I have met you once years ago....i used to live in smithville and consider myself a family friend of The Doty's and i just wanted to tell you i have no idea what you have gone through and can't pretend to understand.....all i do know is i will pray for you and your siblings. I hope you find peace someday, i hope David will continue to grow, and i pray Michael will have a spiritual experience that will provide sobriety. Im in recovery and i know how easy it is to run and hide....Peace Be With You!!

Anonymous said...

Oh JD. As a mama who watches her daughter spend so much time with her daddy on and off that silly softball field that ya'll love so much....your writing makes my chest hurt. Since you spoke so honestly, I am too. I can't even begin to understand one tiny bit of your feelings and now your feelings with super pregnant hormones mixed in. Just know that a family that lives up in Ft. Worth that hardly knows you as much as these others do...well, we have your back and have been praying for you and your family. And from this girl who absolutely loves to read. You need to keep writing. You are such an excellent writer....don't give it up!
Much love,
Jenn Green

JD said...

Thank you all for the kindest of words, for the prayers, and most of all the continuous feeling of a community of friends. Each of you have been a blessing in my life in many ways, and it is honestly the only way I've been able to make it through this year without coming apart. Thank you again. All of you.

Unknown said...

This was beautifully written and all so true. Suicide is on a whole 'nother level as far as dealing with the afterwards. I'm almost 7 months after my husbands suicide and there's just nothing quite like it. Thanks for your honesty.

JD said...

Samantha, I'll be real honest and admit that I haven't looked at my blog since I wrote this post. I haven't wanted to! It's been a year since I've written it and have just found your comment. So I apologize for never replying.

I hope and pray that you've found some sort of peace within the last year. I cannot say that I have found that peace necessarily, but I have found the proper distractions in my kids, in those around me and the like. I hope your holiday season wasn't too miserable and you were able to find things to smile about. Be strong.

Techiedteacher said...

You deserve to rant, scream, be angry, and to miss him! I too, lost my Dad suddenly, but not in the same manner. The hurt is real, the feeling of being cheated is real, and to know what my children are missing is very real! Remember, however, that what we feel cheated out of is all based on what we had planned or expected, in our minds that's the norm in what we see around us. God has his own plans. These plans always interrupt what we think is best! The ending of his life here brings challenges to so many people ... Challenges that God must be using to bring so much good out of you and your brothers that will fortify them for some need that only God has planned! By knowing you I know that your Daddy did an amazing job with you and your brothers! I don't ever want to know the pain and sadness that consumed your Dad! That was his challenge! God was ready for him. He loves you, don't ever doubt that! Continue to miss him because that means he was important!

Unknown said...

Your so brave for sharing this, i lost my father january.21,2015 he shot himself in the head. My heart is forever broken.. I'll never know why if you could id love for you to contact me through pm message on facebook. I love what you wrote i can relate so much.
Lochella Jerusha