Surely all of you out there have done this at least once...let me lay the scene.
This afternoon we had a birthday party to go to. And because I'm me, I'm running late. The kids aren't dressed, all the windows are open, toys are on the ground--possibly a few socks as well--I'm not dressed etc. So at once I start waving my magic wand (Jaxon) and get the help I need. I'm dressed. Maddi's dressed. Jaxon has gotten herself dressed. The windows have all been closed and locked, and we have cleaned up the floor of anything that would look appetizing to our dog. And we RUN out of the house.
I lock the door--make sure I have both kids--put the kids in their car seats. Start the car and we are ON OUR WAY!!! I'm half way to the party when I realize I left my phone at home. I might as well have left without my contacts since I so often look at the world through my phone.
When this happens to me my body breaks out into cold sweats. Small ones. And then I wish them away. They leave and then I get goose bumps. I have to go through the entirety of this party with out checking my texts, I think. What if someone needs me on Facebook...or my email...or twitter. WHAT IF SOMEONE ACTUALLY LEAVES A COMMENT ON MY BLOG?!?!
None of this is that important, I know. So I reason with, What if the truck breaks down? Who will save me? There, that's almost reasonable.
When I told Jaxon that I left my phone at home she gasped so loud that I realized my daughter might actually get me. Then she said, "Does that mean we have to listen to the real radio?! You better turn around and get your phone." Maybe she does get me. I do not turn around, however. I tell myself to buck up. Two hours will not kill you. Thankfully, I only had to go through the radio stations once before we got to the jump house.
So it's birthday party time. Kids are jumping/running/screaming and having a great time...and I get the urge to check my back pocket. There's no phone there and I remember. I shake it off and go in search of my children. Jaxon is smiling and laughing so hard. Maddi is kicking a soccer ball--not sure where it came from--with so much talent that I think of finding her a league immediately. Even at a time when I would usually steal a glance at my phone I got to see Maddi yell--ask--for birthday cake. It was great and I'm glad I left my phone home.
Now for the moment of truth. I love my phone. I really do. It does things like gets me places when I'm lost, stores my favorite songs, takes video, texts people, keeps me connected to all of my friends around the world--they are ALWAYS at my fingertips--and of course it calls people too. I look at it often and it never leaves my side. However, I do not stare at it all the time. I don't. I PROMISE!! I'm afraid if I do I will miss something.
Yesterday, I took Jaxon to another party and this one was located at a park. I walked around chasing my kid for nearly two hours while dodging hundreds of other kids. Yes, hundreds (it may have been fifty kids, but if you ask anyone what a group of fifty kids looks like, I guarantee they say, "100 kids"). I helped her on the monkey bars. She went down the fireman pole. We even went to pet some puppies that had been brought out. While doing this I noticed that EVERY parent, minus myself and very few others, were staring at their phone. I had a line of kids who needed my help on the monkey bars because their parents couldn't be bothered.
It's unreal how ridiculous people look when there is SO much life going on in front of them, yet they are glued to their mobile device. I couldn't be more thankful for my phone...but really, my kids, my family, my life is more important. I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in other people's lives, Facebook has made that so easy now. I know how easy it is to want to get lost in a good game of angry birds. But really, if you are out spending time in the real world, you should put your phones away. Strike up a conversation with the person next to you. Leave them at home and live again. If it's too hard, just start with 30 minute time slots. You'll build yourself up. And I promise it'll be worth it.
Also. I would have loved to have shared pictures of today's party but I left my phone at home and within my phone is my camera....so there ya have it!
























5 I like comments, feel free to leave 'em.:
So very true! I, too, have felt the same panic when I realize I've left my phone or it's dead. It's such a sense of security, for some reason. For me.... It's like a pocket full of friends and conversation!
I absolutely agree!!! You KNOW it's my one way to communicate with my best friend a million miles away. But think about all of the real life conversations you're missing out on while your stuck in your phone.
That was my realization today, while I talked to a complete stranger.
I have never left a comment on a blog before...OMGoodness JD, I knew you were brilliant but holy cow...you know when Georgie would write and sing all those amazing songs and we (granny m, pa pa george and I) would sit dumbstuck because we were blown away by his talent....well that is how I am write now!!! Seriously, you could be writing short stories right now with these blogs in magazines and make you a little money. You are amazing!!!!!!!! I did tell you you needed to write a book...I have proof you know....facebook...go back and read it....I said you are funny too funny to keep hidden. Well I was right!!! JK...I love you, what a joy to read your words...made my day!
right now..why can't I spell
Momma!!!! Thank you for leaving a comment :) I'm honored to be your first.
And thank you, I'm doing this because of what you've said for so long. Also, just so you know, I'm not great at spelling some of the time as well. It's why I use the google chrome web browser. It lets me know when I've made a mistake. :)
Post a Comment