Friday, November 4, 2011

How do I do this?

It's day four of writing and I'm doing...........ok? I had a really good start the first day, which has kept me afloat the last couple days but now I'm just a little distracted. And it's only day four.

Yup...this is kind of a post full of complaints. Kind of. Well really, my only complaint is that I feel like poo. I've decided that I either have strep, the flu, or death is upon me. So that is my major distraction...it's hard to focus when my stomach is in knots and my nose/throat/head are planning attacks against me.

I have tried the pep talk approach. I used to be an athlete...I even coached at the collegiate level. I know what it takes to motivate people. So I've done the equivalent of tattooing "Just Do It" to the top of my hands--with a pen--and I start in on my document. I get in the groove. I get to about 500 words of this writing session and then Super Baby falls into the guitar. The dog chews on another toy. I have to give the "You must put your toys up when you're done or else this dog will chew up everything you have ever been given" speech for the seven hundredth time. Someone gets thirsty. Hungry. Potty time. Spilling a non-spillable sippy cup. Dirty diaper. Bonked head.  "I wanna hold you," (this one gets me every time). And then i have someone sitting on my hands...which are connected to the laptop... inherently ending the writing session.

So, after all that has happened I give in and turn on TV, because nothing says "you're a good mom" better than turning on Tangled so your kids can fall into a coma-like state just so you can try to write.

Document is once again open, I'm typing away, and then Rapunzel leaves her tower, sliding down the long golden hair that only Disney and Pantene can give. The girls jump!squeal!rejoice!!! and get into position. Once again I'm distracted by the 4 year old and 2 year old doing their own personal rendition of When Will My Life Begin. They know every word and movement...beginning with the rolling on the grass. I've seen it seventeen hundred times and I still can't look away.

So what should I do? Find a cabin located in the woods with no distraction and consequently no inspiration? Or stay here in this crazy house and just love my kids and pray they nap for five hours at at time? Obviously my choice is the second one, because a life without this is boring. And easy. And boring.

Alright. I'll post this and try add another five hundred words to my document.

Have a happy Friday!!

0 I like comments, feel free to leave 'em.: